Order of Service
In this time of uncertainty, with so much financial stress, if you can give extra please do:
You may also email our treasurer Phil Weber at email@example.com to give to our love fund. Last year we were able to support families at grassroots with micro-gifts totalling over $6,000.
Stay tuned for more info about our service and care response to COVID-19.
One of our goals as Christians is to become more like Jesus. Basically, it boils down to living in love. But what does that mean? If you ask ten different people what love is, you might get ten different answers. We all have our own opinions because we all have different beliefs, life experiences, and relationships. We need to have an example of what real love is so that we can all know what love means. God gave us Jesus as that example. When we try to be like Jesus, we are walking in love. This means showing people generosity, grace, compassion, and patience whether or not we think they have earned it. It means being kind when others are mean, standing up for the vulnerable, being humble, helping people, and making sacrifices for the good of others. As you watch the video today, think about what you have learned about Jesus’s character so far. How can we be like him?
- Jesus was known for his many acts of loving generosity. He healed the sick, helped people with spiritual and emotional problems, defended people who were being pushed around, and fed the hungry.
– What are some specific things that Jesus did that showed his incredible love and generosity?
– How do you think it felt to be one of the people that Jesus helped?
– What are some ways that people have shown love to you and your family during this corona virus time?
- One day, Jesus was talking to his disciples and he said:
I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples. (John 15:5-8)
– What does Jesus mean about him being the vine and us being the branches?
– What do you think he means when he talks about fruit?
– Many times when Jesus taught people things he did it in ways that could mean different things to different people. Why did he do that?
- After Jesus was crucified, the disciples closed themselves up in a house and locked the doors. They were scared of trouble from the Jewish leaders. When Jesus appeared to them in the house, he said, “Peace be with you” (John 20:19). He knew that they were scared and he wanted to comfort them. They had heard that Jesus had risen and many of them believed, but Thomas was not convinced. He had doubts, even though he had personally seen Jesus perform many different miracles in their time together. Jesus didn’t scold Thomas for being cynical… he showed compassion. He let Thomas see and touch his wounds from being crucified, knowing that Thomas needed proof to believe.
– Did Jesus need Thomas to believe him? Why did he care?
– What does the word ‘faith’ mean to you?
– Why didn’t Jesus show himself to other people, like the Jewish leaders?
- YOUTH GROUP: If you want to jump in for ZOOM youth group on Monday nights, email our Youth Group Leader Isaac Veurink at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- WED PRAYER: If you would like to join in for Wed night prayer at 7:39pm, click this link at 7:39 on Wed or shortly before to jump in
- HOME GROUPS: Stay tune to hear from your home group leader for more information about your group. If you would like to join in a home group, please email our home groups leader Carolyn Whatley at email@example.com
- BIBLE CAMP: If you’d like to join in our weekday Bible camps, click here at 1:00pm M-F for some dancing and a Bible story. This is geared for kids, but everybody is welcome.
- Grade 5-6 Buds: Calling all Gr. 5-6 kids! You are invited to join us every Wednesday at 2:00 for a Zoom meeting just for you and your roots and shoots class. There will be games, music, challenges, special guests, learning about God, and my more.
Zoom link: https://lakeheadu.zoom.us/j/
- CARE AND SERVICE: If you are in need of any kind of support, please email firstname.lastname@example.org